Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Bottom of the Food Chain

My first day at my internship involved a lot of observing. Upon meeting my fellow employees at Cablevision News, I was excited to be a part of their team. I was able to film the sports show that is broadcasted on the channel, while also being taught how to use a camera. When I first entered the studio, I thought that it was smaller than I imagined; however, it was still very exciting to be standing on a real broadcast news floor.

Over the course of three sessions at Cablevision News, I have worked on the production of the News channel. Specifically, I have used the camera while filming both the sports show and the news program, as well as editing footage shot in the field. I also went out on two assignments: one for a civil war veteran found in Hyde Park and the other for two college students attending Dutchess Community College.

While on assignment, I was accompanied by a camera man and a reporter who showed me what goes on during interviews. I was taught how to use a camera, tripod, and microphone. While in the studio, I was also taught how to set up titles of names and places that appear throughout the news program. The studio uses a power point-like program for this work. Additionally, I recorded lines for the teleprompt and got the news anchors water, not coffee.

Although I feel that some of the jobs that I will be doing are out of my field, such as camera work, I am still happy to see firsthand what the production part of broadcast journalism is about and I look forward to this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment