Friday, February 5, 2010

Amazing Life

I haven’t updated in a while.  Oops.  I suppose my employment has got the best of me.

My original plan was to get a job but stay within the comforting umbrella of academia, attend medieval seminars in London and apply for PhD funding for the upcoming year.

But then I got a real editorial job for a real company in the real world working real hours.

And I haven’t really even thought about going back.

Part of me is completely unbothered by this, the part of me that knew if I finished with a PhD in medieval literature I would be at the whim of the university job market.  The humanities university job market.  The medieval humanities job market.  What I’m saying is, it’s a tough market.  And, when presented with the options of working and living in London as an editor at a good wage and moving to, oh I don’t know, Idaho for the one job I can manage to get as an untenured position as a lecturer of medieval literature, well, I know which option appeals more.

But there’s another part of me, perhaps the part that is overly proud that just really wants to continue and get a PhD in a subject that I’m passionate about.  Or, really, it’s not even so much the pride as much as it is the fact that I genuinely enjoyed my research.  I love researching.

But, yeah, I’m also really enjoying making money.  LexisNexis has turned out to be an amazing company for which to work so far, and the people on the Halsbury’s Statutes and Statutory Instruments team are quite friendly.  I mean for as friendly as you can get with your editorial colleagues; editorial work is a pretty solitary profession in the day-to-day sense.

So, on to the subject of this post: my amazing life.

I got home at 18.30 today, changed into my pyjamas, made fish and homemade chips for dinner, watched Project Runway and have just been lying around on the couch for the remainder of the evening.  Now that it’s 23.30, I think it’s an acceptable time to consider going to sleep.

Except it’s a Friday night.

No, honestly, my life is amazing.  I think I’m just still detoxing from the insane night that involved at least 15 gin-and-tonics at the Yelp birthday party.

I love gin and tonic.  I’m proper British now.

Except I could really go for some guacamole right now.

[Via http://expatlarissa.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment