Monday, December 7, 2009

Tim Tebow Theology

To say Tim Tebow has been an outstanding athlete for Florida and a wonderful role model would be a gross understatement.  While some college athletes get busted for drug use or arrested for public drunkenness and fighting, Tim Tebow proudly and confidently speaks about his Christian faith.

Before Florida’s loss to Alabama (yes, I was pulling for Alabama. ), CBS showed a clip of Tebow who said that everything that happens is God’s will.

I can’t accept Tim Tebow’s theology.  And I hope with life experiences (He’s still young.) Tim will re-think his theology too.  I invite anybody who thinks that everything that happens is God’s will to, among other things:

1) walk through a pediatric intensive care unit

2) walk through a cancer clinic

3) visit an area raged by a natural disaster (attend all the funerals of the deceased)

4) study the holocaust

5) do a google search (or Bing search) on genetic disorders

6) read the book of Job, the lament Psalms, and particularly Ecclesiastes

The world does not need our “defending God theologies” so much as it needs Christians and churches responding to the world’s suffering.  Of course, a less sure theology would be in order too.

In his book Defending God:  Biblical Responses to the Problem of Evil (p. 8) James L. Crenshaw cites Psalm 77:4

I think of God, and I moan; I meditate, and my spirit faints.

There is a sharp contrast between the Psalmist’s moaning about God and Tim Tebow’s defending God.

Surprisingly, the book of Job ends with God defending Job, who has given God down the road, and with God being upset with Job’s friends, who have been defending God and attacking Job for letting God have it.

Job 42:7

After the LORD had spoken these words to Job, the LORD said to Eli’phaz the Te’manite: “My wrath is kindled against you and against your two friends; for you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has.

[Via http://liberalbaptistrev.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment