Monday, March 15, 2010

So here's the thing.

I’m playing around the fringes of something here.  A new perspective perhaps.  I just found out a few days ago that my job will end in a couple of months.  A more piecemeal form of it will remain available to me, which is – okayish, I suppose.  I’ll be eligible for unemployment.  And I have a marketable skill that I can also use in freelancing.

I wonder, though, about something.  See, here’s the thing.  It turns out that in the work I was doing, I was never fulfilling the role I thought I was fulfilling.  When I was informed of the job ending, it was with a “thank you for helping us for so long” message.  I’ve been there, off and on, for over a decade (the “off”portion was for the baby/toddler years).  I thought I was a colleague, not someone brought in to help the real colleagues.  So I toy with the question of whether I should respond with the anger I feel over that, if I might burn some bridges if I do that.  And then I toy with the question of whether the bridge was ever really built in the first place.  And maybe all that’s there to burn is my phantom idea of a nonexistent bridge that I’ve been so diligently building and maintaining…

So – what does this say about the rest of my life?  Is it possible that as I strive for self-awareness, and reach for a safe and simple way to continue coming out, that I’m just helping?  Or worse yet, am I just doing other people’s jobs for them?  Is it possible that I’m trying to keep bridges from burning in places where there is no bridge?

I’m so “good,”  so “cooperative.”  I want everything to be “fair.”  And right now, most of what matters intensely to me is quiet, unannounced in my external life.  To some degree that’s really fine.  I feel like some aspects of my life are incubating.  So be it.  But on some level I wonder if I’m just helping, rather than living.

And I don’t have a road map for how to make the change.  I’m not twenty.  I’m not leaving home to go off to college or something like that.  I wonder, how do I find my way out of the places I feel trapped, but familiar?  And even more, how do I discover those places where I thought I was being fair, but I’m really just “helping”?  How do I determine what parts of my life consist of investing in relationships and lifestyle patterns that will never ever give back?

I suspect the answer is that if I have to ask myself if THIS or THAT is one of those places, it is.  No wonder I’m exhausted.  I think it’s time to sit back and feel the difference between real life and forced life.  Just sit back, just observe from inside my life – what’s working, what’s not?  And it occurs to me that a lot of what I need to “do” is – nothing.  I need to do a lot more nothing in most of the places where I am investing.

It’s the places that comfort me and scare me that are probably real.

Holy shit.

[Via http://makingspacethejourneyout.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment