Wednesday, March 3, 2010

2010 Goals (as of Feb 2010)

I have decided to create my very own grading scale. It only consists of two things, either a WOO-HOO for a success or a WOMP for a failure. Even more crazy is that I actually use both of those words in my real-life. Without further ado, here are the updates on my 2010 annual goals.

    Financial:

– Increase my monthly contribution to my Roth to $300

So, I cancelled my automatic contributions. With my new budget in place, I plan on contributing about $400 a month. So I think that is a WOO-HOO

– Start a 401K

WOO-HOO! I did start one. However, I’m not too happy with Vanguard sending me mail every 5 minutes! I’m not green by any measure, but I really do hate paper mail. I am a hoarder by nature and companies that send me mail are enablers.

– Double my Net Worth (so I’m shooting for $33,766)

I guess I won’t be able to comment on this until the end of the year, but I did pretty well last month. If I am to hit that goal, I will need to win the lotto increase my networth by $1,495 every month. Is it me or does this number get larger and larger? For now, let’s just wait and see.

– Budget

WOO-HOO. So this is working for me. I do have one in place. Totally went over it last month though.

– Cancel 2 credit cards

For now, a WOMP. Almost had the chance to complete half of this goal, but I passed. I know which credit cards I’m going to cancel (JCPenneys, Citi, and Bloomingdales), I just need to have $0 debt before I start making the calls. I definitely see this being completed by the end of the year.

– Take another bill from parents

Crickets. WOMP

– Move my savings to another bank

I’ve been scouting out some banks but my APY seems pretty competitive in this environment. I did hear of an online bank offering 2% on deposits, so if they cut my rate below 1.5% then that’s where I’m headed. For now, a WOMP!

    Blog

– Participate in 12 blog carnivals

Yeah…didn’t participate in ANY blog carnivals again. But I have plenty of time to redeem myself. And I will. For now, enjoy this WOMP.

– Write at least 3 posts a week

This has been going pretty well. I think last week I did only 2 posts, but that was just one week. In the overall scheme of things I’ve been meeting my goal, so WOO-HOO!

– Change the theme (grey, blue and orange are so 2009…)

So this is going to happen this month. My bloggiversary is coming up in 25 days guys!!! I’ve been checking out some themes (the free ones at least) and I’m not a fan, but we’ll see what I end up going with. I think this is classified as a WOMP-HOO.

– Buy a domain name

So my good friend Two Young totally hooked me up with a nice deal to get my domain name for a $1. Except laziness trumps all, so I haven’t moved to it. It’s coming peeps. Just wait for it. WOMP.

– Do a monthly update of my net worth

WOO-HOOs all around. Now that I’m a tracker, why wouldn’t I do a monthly update?

– Get more readers

I love seeing every faces, but old and new. I just want people to come to my blog and to leave with a smile! WOO-HOO!

    Personal

– Work out 3 times a week

WOMP WOMP WOMPERS. This is horrible. However, March is going to bring about a change. Primarily because going to Costa Rica is becoming a bit more of a reality. So I’ve stocked up on Groupons for gym memberships that should carry me to mid-may. I’ve also found out that my Health Insurance offers discounts on gym memberships, so I’ll be signing up for Ballys for only $1/day

– Make one meal a month

I made this delicious PB&J one time. Totally had to be there. Alright, WOMP.

– Study my cheeks off for the GMAT

Studying about 2.5 hours a day. Classes start on Saturday. A very bittersweet WOO-HOO, since I can’t say studying is enjoyable.

– Apply/Get into to B-School

I haven’t really looked at my essays since this last update. But since I’ve started the application, I’m clearly on track, right? RIGHT? I’m going to sneak a WOO-HOO for this month. However, if I haven’t made any further progress on essays in March, I’m turning it into a WOMP

– Get a raise/promotion

I’m working harder. I’m actually enjoying my work. So, getting a raise and/or promotion would be chocolate icing on top of a very chocolately cake. (I really don’t like whip cream or Maraschino cherries…) I’m not sure how much control I have over this, but everyone cross your fingers for this WOMP to become a WOO-HOO!

– Team Lead 2 Community Service projects and Volunteer at least once a month

As I mentioned in the last update, I probably won’t be volunteering in any projects until after I’m done applying. So this is on hold. Not a WOMP, but not quite a WOO-HOO, either.

– Network (the dreaded cold call or mixer. I will challenge myself to at least one per month)

Last month I went to a fundraiser with the my Money Buddy. I also went to my last networking event with her. She’s pretty much my crutch for this things. I think I’m going to put the networking on a hold for now, but hey if someone is having a mixer, I’m not going to say no. WOO-HOO!

– Add $5 to each of my donations

I’m not going to link back to my expense report so you will all forget about how much of a scrooge I was this past month. I’ll do better. I promise! WOMP

– Read one book a month

I’ve read Kaplan’s GMAT 2010 Premier Study Guide cover to cover. But if that doesn’t count, I did start reading Manisha Thakoor’s, “Getting Financially Naked: How to Talk Money with Your Honey.” I’m up to part II where the talking with your honey is discussed. Maybe I’ll finish it in March, but we’ll see. For now, a WOMP-HOO!

– Travel with BF

The plan is place, the workout has begun. Before we book, we’re waiting to hear back about BF’s start date for his position. Once we know, we’ll plan based on that! So, I’m considering it a WOO-HOO!

So as the months go on, and as actually do some of these things, I probably will delete them from the list. Then, at the end of December, I’ll do a giant re-cap of the goals and whether or not I accomplished them!

[Via http://investingnewbie.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment