Friday, November 13, 2009

Guest Post: 8 Tips for Jobseekers (From Someone Who Just Got One!)

Hi, my name is Pam and I was a student in Suzanne’s Love Your Job Search course in the early fall. I had just gotten back from teaching in Japan through the JET Programme and was looking for a job for almost four months. Last week, I finally found my dream job, working in university student services. Here are a few things I learned along the way…

  1. Know your weaknesses and strengths. This is something we focused on during the LYJ class. I’m pretty good at writing (solid cover letter/résumé- check!) and I have a good amount of experience and demonstrated interest in my field. But I would get really flustered and tongue-tied when trying to present myself in person.
  2. Practice, practice, practice. Because I knew I stank at interviewing, I found a list of practice interview questions, wrote out answers to each one (this took a few days), practiced out loud in front of a mirror (yeah, it’s pretty awkward). Then, I asked my sisters and friends to mock interview me. The first time, it was embarrassing and nerve-wracking, but eventually I got a lot better. (For help, check Chapter 9 of the Idealist’s Guide to Careers in Non-Profits for First Time Job Seekers – an excellent resource!)
  3. Do research on them (but no need to go overboard). You definitely want to go in with a list of thoughtful questions to show your interest in the position. I had interviews where they asked me two questions and the rest of the interview was pretty much all me. However, don’t do what I did- I asked one interviewer about a specific article he had written. It turned out okay, but he could have easily pegged me as a creepy Google stalker.
  4. Don’t forget that thank you note! I used to send pretty handwritten notes, but Suzanne suggested type-written letters on nice paper for formal interviews. I’ve tried to send them within 2-3 days- just enough time to write something coherent but soon enough where they don’t forget who I am.
  5. Be picky. Don’t just choose a job because it pays well or you feel like you really need to work right this second. Do it because you know this is the right job for you. I found a job after looking for about 2 months. The people were super nice, the pay was decent, and it seemed like a good job. The thing is, I had interviewed for my dream position and hadn’t heard back for about 3 weeks. So I emailed the dream office and told them about the job offer. Immediately, they offered a second interview. It wasn’t a sure bet, but I decided to politely decline the first offer to get a chance at the job I really wanted. It ended up working out, but even if it hadn’t, I think it still would have been the right decision.
  6. Do informational interviews. Lots of them! The JET Program Alumni Association asked me to interview people in my field (university administration/international education) to post on their blog, JETWit. Suzanne was also nice enough to recommend a few of her contacts. There are tons of ways to find people to talk to. Make sure to ask the all-important question: “Who else would you recommend that I speak to?”
  7. Reach out to your references/former co-workers/friends/family. First off, make sure you have 3 up-to-date references that know about your current job search. Next, don’t be afraid to let everyone know that you’re looking for work. Make sure you tell them specifically what kinds of jobs you’re searching for. I got an interview because a college friend of my high school friend had an opening in her office.
  8. Make yourself busy. Treat “funemployment” like a self-improvement vacation. When else will you have this much free time? Get involved with your alumni association, hang out with your friends (lunch break date, anyone?), do volunteer work, go to conferences, take classes (like Love Your Job!). I was lucky enough to have a pretty good amount of savings to rely on but there’s tons of free stuff to do too. I loved going to the book buffet (a.k.a. my local library) and catching up on all the reading I never had time to do. I also finally got my email inbox to zero- and am trying to keep it there.
  9. (Bonus) While you have the time, get your personal finances in order. I recommend Ramit Sethi’s book, I Will Teach You to Be Rich. You can get it from the library or check out his blog. It’s a fun read and he gives you solid advice that you can put into action right away.

If you have any tips or advice that you’ve learned in your own job search process, please let me (and everyone) know by posting in the Comments section. Arigatou (“Thanks” in Japanese)!

No comments:

Post a Comment