Friday, October 9, 2009

Brain Dead

Man, I have been brain dead lately and I don’t know what the deal is. Maybe I’m not sleeping well enough. That is usually the case when I get like this. Or maybe it’s because I’ve been working through some things in therapy. I don’t know. Either way my brain is shutting down.

It’s been a few weeks since anyone has called about a job. I went to a career “fair” last weekend, but there was no Ferris wheel. I got a “maybe” on their next round of hiring, so we’ll see what happens. It’s always a waiting game.

A friend of mine just moved back to my hometown in Nebraska and got hired right away. Also, my friend in Cincinnati had good luck starting out as “nothing,” then becoming an SQL programmer through a temp job. In Vegas, those kinds of things don’t happen.

I kind of miss Minneapolis where you could do the same thing my friend did in Cincinnati. I became a Legal Secretary through temping. The other day at an interview someone asked, “How did you become a Legal Secretary without any experience?” Because in the late 90s in Minneapolis people wanted to put me to work, that’s why. I mean, you don’t just fall out of the sky with experience. You get it on the job.

I’d move to another town, but I don’t have the money to do that. So I’m at the mercy of whatever comes along. No one wants you to show up in person or call around here either. You have to fill out their applications on-line or fax/email your resume. My wife passed my resume along to a classmate yesterday so she can send it to a friend who works in the customer service/data entry department at a large company. I’ve never had to use connections to get a job, but that is how it works here. I wish I knew more people.

If only I could work on starting my online artist community or run out and get a new drum set. I got rid of my old drum set when I left Minneapolis. Instead I have a couple of Techniques 1200 DJ turntables that I’m thinking of taking to a pawn shop. I bet they won’t give me nearly what I think they’re worth. It would be interesting to find out if it wasn’t so much work to lug them down there.

I guess we’ll be meeting with our financial advisor next week to get our next kick in the ass toward a lawyer’s office. Should be fun becoming an official deadbeat. It’s not the end of the world at all, but it’s nothing to be proud of either. Frankly, bankruptcy is probably the best thing I can do to get off the treadmill and avoid losing everything I have.

I’ll sure miss having good credit, but maybe I’ll be better off without it and learn a little discipline. The reality, though, is there are certain things you can’t do without credit. It should be thrilling to see how much more difficult life can become.

No comments:

Post a Comment